This just gets better! /me does a DOJ!

For one totally insane moment, the words "I love you, Lois, and I can't face spending any more time without you - will you marry me?" had danced around his brain; but when his dry mouth had opened, all that had emerged was a trite "I missed you, too."
Aw. You know what they say... stick with your original answer!

The difficult part had been pulling away again instead of dropping his belongings, sweeping her into his arms, and yielding to his long-pent-up desire to kiss her senseless.
See previous comment! grumble

And he hadn't called...
awwww...

Would he mind if she went home to shower first, and then spent the evening at his place? Surely not. She could talk to his plants - that made them grow better, didn't it? And the lights in his windows would discourage any would-be burglars.

Lois suddenly realised she was standing stock-still at her car door, a smile tugging at her lips. The smile broadened as she got into the car and headed for home.
Yay! Even his apartment makes her happy! This is a Good Thing! laugh

Poor, poor ficus! And... plants that think! I always KNEW Doonesbury was right! wink

Ahem, and the next part is expected WHEN?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun