Blueowl,
I read only completed stories due to being left high and dry too many times over the years. I'm pleased to see the many posts you've received and would like to add mine now that it is complete. I too found the resolution to that episode was not explored as well as could be but I suppose, given the one-hour (45 minutes with commercials) time limit, they did the best they could. Your story is what fanfic is for, to explore situations in-depth and present alternative solutions to the premises set up by the writers. I have not read all the comments that have been posted so I apologize if some of my comments are duplicates.

You've presented the medical information with great and thorough detail. If you are not a medical professional I congratulate you on your diligence regarding the injuries and their treatment. Your descriptions made me empathize with his injuries and the pain he suffered through. I think Clark's choice of Perry as his next of kin was perfect. Clark knows Perry to be a man of integrity and will do what is necessary while also watching out for Superman's best interests. Clark's idea to have Perry call the Kents and tell them Kal-El gave them permission to talk to him if the need arose fit as well. Perry figuring out the secret on his own worked too. Perry's pretty sharp and having spent so much time with Superman it made sense that he'd figure things out, especially as he is not burdened by the emotional entanglements Lois has. You portrayed the damage Luthor had done with startling reality. Those injuries and the reaction of those who treated Superman showed how evil your version of Luthor is. While it seemed that Luthor had more Kryptonite than was hinted at on the show the mention of having Kryptonite bullets worked because of what happened when Arianna shot Superman in another episode. I especially liked how Superman reacted to natural sunlight compared to the lights they had used. The pace of healing was magnitudes faster with natural sunlight as to be miraculous, but it may have harmed him to a point as his doctor mentioned when his ribs healed super fast, causing him intense pain that brought back memories of his torture at Luthor's hands. Of course, they couldn't know that would happen, and on reflection, did more good than harm otherwise Superman would not have been close to normal when the plot against his life was taking place. As I'm sure others have mentioned Superman's reaction to the outpouring of love and gratitude by people in the hospital was very touching. I found myself choking up along with Clark and his reaction was perfect.

On a side note, I wonder how long it took Perry to find the secret closet with the suits? He sure surprised Clark when he presented him with the Suit but I never expected less from Perry. I did wish you had shown where Superman went between leaving the hospital and returning to Clark's place. Of course, maybe Perry worked out with Henderson to allow Superman to recuperate at Clark's place. I wonder if Henderson might also know, or at least suspect, the truth. The ending scenes with Lois and Clark wrapped things up beautifully. Unlike that stupid solution of Clark taking back his declaration of love, he did what he should have done and confided his secret to Lois. By the end of the first season, Clark knew Lois was trustworthy despite her blindness with regard to Luthor she deserved to know, especially since she realized her true love was Clark. I guess I can see maintaining the sexual tension between them but I believe they could have done a better job of handling their love.

Thanks for writing this story and sharing it with us,
Ray