Originally Posted by mrsMxyzptlk
When Bruce said that they were heading to Kansas, of course I thought that meant Smallville, and I started to wonder about the Kents. In the old Superboy comics, they moved into town when Clark was a kid and ran the general store. I was thinking that it would be cool if you had them running the general store since here they didn't have Clark to help them out on the farm.

I don't know whether you meant Jonathan's General Store and Martha's Closet to be references to the old comics, but I really like what you did with them in Clark's absence. I especially like that you played up Martha's art projects. One of the things I always liked about the Kents' characterizations on the show was that Martha, in particular, had hobbies and interests not related to being a farmer. She was a very well fleshed-out character. You built on that well and took them in a very believable direction.

Hiya!

I've actually never been into the comics so it's quite the happy random coincidence that I had Jonathan and Martha running stores (and the General Store to boot!). I, like you, always loved that Martha had all these various interests and hobbies throughout the series - one episode she was making art, another she was into lasers, etc. So, of course, I had to throw that in. If anything, I think she would have thrown herself even more into her hobbies without her child in her life.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon