Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
It's amazing, isn't it, how something so mundane can mean so much to one person? For Clark, a simple shopping trip is a shining beacon of freedom, independence, trust, and learning to depend on others in a cooperative, rather than controlling, manner. For the first time, he's being treating as an adult and as an equal and it means everything to him.

Absolutely amazing. Especially since most people often find shopping a chore. I loved Clark's reactions in this chapter. And Lois grasping that this was a new experience for him. Whether or not she knows how much it meant to him, well, maybe we'll see that in later chapters.

His awe and astonishment at his first glance at Jonathan's General Store, turning into humility as he asked more than once for help in choosing items was very realistic and shows how quickly he can learn. I loved that he chose slippers and bathrobes for everyone, and suggested they get outfitted for more than one kind of weather. Perhaps this is a glimpse into a future generous, thoughtful Clark? Certainly it is a haunting reminder of what might have been, had Jonathan and Martha found him. And Lois's initially cynical reaction was, well definitely Lois!

And perhaps the best part was the empathy he felt for Martha through one of her modern sculptures. Definitely looking forward to where you take this, and am delighted that there's more Smallville. I do wonder if that farmhouse is a bit familiar... I can wait to find out if you decide to enlighten us.

The reversal of Bruce's joke falling flat and Clark's reaction was priceless. rotflol

When I started reading this, I'm not sure I would have believed there could be so much light and humor in Clark's life this quickly. Well done! clap

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly