Oh, wow! Thank you, Millefeuilles, for coming out of lurkdom to leave that beautiful message. A real piece of my soul went into this story, and it's powerful and gratifying to know that it was so well-received. And thank you for your support of my other stories as well - positive feedback is truly appreciated.

This was never intended to be a series; certainly, I believe other women in Smallville would have similar stories to tell, but the title refers to the statistic, to the label affixed to me when I was fourteen years old. I have spent my life determined to be more than a tragic number, to transform my experience into something other than a nightmare that even thirty years later can be recalled in horrifying detail. I use my voice to speak for those who can't ; I use myself as an example for my fourteen-year old students. Never let your worst day define you. Reclaim your power, rise above, and you win in the end.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink