I'll be the first to admit I really disliked Dan. (Though in this I at least *tried* to be fair, as well as this being *Lois'* point of view.)

First of all, he comes off (to me) as the kind of guy who's way more interested in luring a Lois away from Clark than he is in Lois herself. Any guy that goes from 0 to 60 like that when he's well aware there's another guy in the picture strikes me as a questionable prospect... not that Lois made a firm stand for her commitment to Clark, but still.

Secondly there was the inherent hypocrisy of him always ragging on Clark for running off and being secretive given his profession. (Not that either Dan or Lois had any idea Clark was being called away for his 'volunteer work' rather than just zipping off due to commitment phobia or whatever reason they privately seemed to agree upon that the show never really labels.) But at least that made it into this fic.

Thirdly, the whole idea that the writers, producers, whoever decided that Dan was needed at *that point* bugs me. There were enough issues with the whole Clark vs. Superman 'triangle', why did we need a 3rd guy for the second season in a row? It just served to make Lois look at best unsympathetic to Clark, as Virginia pointed out, and possibly insecure if not neurotic, and at worst flakey, pliable and shallow... which makes Dan feel like Lex 2.0 without the manipulative and borderline dominating/abusive tendencies and secret criminal activities, though a least one fic (Shayne Terry's "Dear Lois") linked Dan to B-39. I could have seen the need for a 'Dan' character around the time Mayson showed up or possibly between Phoenix and Lucky Leon... but after that, if just makes the whole thing feel soap opera-ish. Not that Clark really looks good with Mayson in the wings after the 'Almost First Date' either *especially* with how close the 'weekend getaway with Mayson' is to that (one episode previously).

...and there's the rantiness I harbor for Dan that I was trying to keep out of the actual fic...

Last edited by Lieta; 04/18/16 11:15 AM. Reason: corrected author plug