, wondering and worrying if he was trapped in a burning building full of kryptonite.
No, he’s currently having naughty dreams about her being Bonnie Lane.

Or was he so injured that he couldn't get away?
Maybe someone finds him and takes him home to make him her personal plaything?

to check the stairwell outside Clark's front door. It had been empty, a fact that both relieved and frightened her.

She returned to Clark's bed and flopped backwards,
I wonder if she might not sleep better if Clark was there, holding her close after they both won.

Clark had been stuck thousands of miles away, helplessly watching it unfold on television. It must have been torture to be so far away.
And yet, I don’t think telling her he’s Superman would keep her calm. At all.

Lois punched up a pillow and turned it sideways before snuggling against it,
A perfect stand-in for Clark — both a willing punching ball and a snuggle bums at the same time.

Then she stood, half-swaying on her feet, and regarded his shower. Right now taking a shower at home included the possibility of an audience. But here was a perfectly good shower going spare.
Unless Clark got home and wondered why his shower was running.
[Linked Image]

Clark won't care, she told herself. You know he won't care.
I believe he would care. He’ll probably never clean that shower again.

It felt rather curious, almost illicit, to be stripping naked in her best friend's bathroom.
She was never sooted up and had to get clean in Clark’s apartment before?

Maybe it was the possibility that Superman might show up unannounced again, although she was certain he wouldn't invade her privacy.
SUPERMAN: She was at Clark’s place. I thought I’d be surprising *him* in the shower with a gush of freezing breath, not *her*!

Not just clean, but now the familiar smell of Clark's soap and shampoo clung to her like an invisible hug.
So she didn’t spend the night at her place and smells like a guy. Wonder what Lex is going to say about his fiancée gallivanting around like that.
LOIS: Fiancée?
LEX: huh I proposed and paid her father 50 large.

At the beep, Lex's voice cooed, "Lois? Are you there, my darling?"
Wouldn’t it be creepy if he said ‘I can see you on the monitor. Come on, Lois! Pick up or I’ll have to send Owen to get you.’

Lois froze, her heart hammering painfully in her chest at the realization that Lex was probably watching her at this very moment.
Or that.

Lois picked up the cordless phone and called her mom, reassuring her that she was perfectly fine, but extremely busy.
She could say that she stayed at Ralph’s place. That way, her mother would stop worrying about why Lois wasn’t home *and* Lex would get rid of Ralph. Two flies. One stone.

It appeared the bomb had been mailed to the Planet and, by the sheerest luck, fragments of the postage and a clear thumbprint had survived the blast.
Luck? Is it called luck if a corrupt cop places that evidence in a bag to implicate Clark Kent for mailing that device?

Not that she could give him a ride, her Jeep was still parked in the Planet's garage, but Clark didn't know that.
Caked in dirt at the least, maybe even crushed by concrete?

"Do you remember that place we all went to on my birthday?"
Joe’s Jiggle Room?

"Would you rather I called a cab for you?" Lex asked.
He probably has specially built versions with a gas-tight backseat cabin.

Lois got into the limo, telling herself that Lex claimed to love her. He wouldn't do anything really terrible to her.
Whisk her away to a remote place and make love to her. In his eyes. The state might call it something else, though.

"The Green Harp, down on 8th Avenue and Church Street." She took the proffered handkerchief and dabbed at her face and hair, trying to soak up the worst of the moisture.

"I've never heard of the place."
It’s a dart place. The owner, an Oliver King, likes all sorts of marksmanship competitions.

"You could rebuild it." God, did he want her to beg? She realized that she was perfectly willing to beg if that would change his mind.
Or maybe she could do something else with her mouth to make it all better? Maybe that’s what he wants?
LEX: See? Everyone has their price. laugh

What kind of a monster would destroy your world and then offer you solace?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy

"There is nothing I wouldn't risk for you, Lois," he said as his eyes met hers. "Marry me, and I'll rebuild the Planet as your wedding present."
So, he’s paying her a building for sex, then?

What about her, for that matter? If he'd blown up the Planet, who was to say he'd let her out of the limo once it got to the Green Harp if she turned him down again?
Maybe if she had a switch blade and could ram it into his neck while kissing him?
LOIS: I prefer to not kill people.

" I, uh, I don't know what to say," she whispered, feeling like her throat was closing off with unshed tears.
Maybe something like that pea-soup scene from the Excorcist?

"I see I've surprised you." Lex leaned closer and kissed her softly on the cheek. "Take your time and think about it, my darling." He kissed her again, this time on the lips. "I'm not going anywhere."
[Linked Image]

Owen nodded. Lois wondered if he spoke, and she was half-tempted to ask him something that required more than a simple yes or no answer.
Maybe Owen is like one of Euron Greyjoy’s crew on the Silence?

He wasn't, and she wondered how fast he was counting, and how much time she'd have to get away.
It also depends on whether he knows how to count to two hundred and if he’ll go slowly or just skip numbers when he has trouble.

The door squeaked, but no alarm sounded. Lois stepped into the alley, quickly pushing the door shut behind her. She crept down to the end, and took a peek around the corner.
Wouldn’t it be awkward if Owen was standing there, shaking his head ‘no’?

All four men fell instantly silent, staring at her like she'd grown a second head.
[Linked Image]

Finally, Perry spoke. "You ditched him?" He turned to look over his shoulder in the direction of the stairs. "Are you sure you lost him?"
See? That’s why you ditch people in a ditch with a .22 in the middle of their forehead. That way, you can say, ‘yes, I’m sure’.

Clark shook his head in disbelief. "Oh my god, you're actually thinking about it, aren't you?"

"Now, Clark--" Perry began to caution.
“— it’s a very time-honored tradition to trade marriage beds for goods, treaties, or general good will.”

And she'd been right about Clark shifting into overprotective big brother mode the moment Lex's name came up.
Yes, he does love her like a brother. Platonic.

Absence hadn't softened him at all, Clark was exactly the same. She was making an effort to be nicer, so why couldn't he?
He enjoys their foreplay?

Clark was so much the same, in fact, that he was tapping Perry on the shoulder as he asked, "Chief? Will you excuse me? I have to, uh…" Clark gestured in the direction of the stairs.
Go for little superheroes?

As soon as he disappeared from sight, Lois leaned forward, bracing her elbows on the table and lowering her voice even though Clark was now out of earshot.
So, in China already?

"Okay, let's make this quick. I know Clark is in love with someone who works at the Planet, but he won't tell me who. Do any of you know who she is?"
JIMMY: confused
PERRY: [Linked Image]

For a very long moment no one spoke as all three men stared at her.

"Ahhh," Perry began, before falling silent.

Jack began to laugh. "Are you serious?"
rotflol

"It's so obvious!" Jack said with a laugh. "Have you looked in a mirror lately?"

"Don't be absurd!" Lois exclaimed in exasperation.
LOIS: Ultra Woman’s not even a real person! eek I mean…erm…What?

"So why doesn't he just tell me?"
He likes the torture? He’s shy? He thinks she loves older gents with lots of money?

The man was intelligent, amusing, gorgeous, and -- just maybe -- in love with her, which said a lot for his good taste.
That he’s in love with a superficial brunette who uses her looks to get ahead in her job?
LOIS: mad

What if it was true? What if it was her? Happiness began to bubble inside her like champagne;
She could ask ‘is it Lois?’

"Hey." Clark's elbow nudged hers as he leaned closer to whisper near her ear. "Are you okay?" The heat of his breath tickled her neck, setting off a ripple of goose bumps over her skin.
How knowing makes a world of difference.

Clark would never blackmail her into doing anything,
He might hold back winning if she ticks him off too much by running away and into dangerous situations. At least, until she manages to scare him senseless, then he might be too relieved and happy to not make her win.

To her chagrin, Perry now looked as concerned as Clark. "I asked where you're planning to stay tonight. You know there's always a room for you with Alice and me."
Clark’s! I mean…Clark’s. Yes. Clark’s bed will do.

Lois held out her hand to take the card, but Perry moved it beyond her reach. "Two conditions, darlin'. One, you go out to the suburbs, somewhere that it will be easier to spot a tail. And, two, I come with you."

"Make it three conditions. I'm coming, too," Clark volunteered.
Yes, but with Perry there, won’t that be awkward? Unless they rent a big villa-type of house and Perry dresses in a black suit and white gloves.
PERRY: Very good, Mistress Lane, Master Kent. Will that be all for tonight?

"After all, if Lex really wanted to hurt me, I wouldn't be sitting here now."
Adrenalin gives the meat a nice, spicy flavor.

Something was wrong with Lois, but Clark could only guess at what it was.
Because she’s started to send out really strong waves of pheromones? Like she did back in November?

Most of all he wanted to make Luthor pay, find a way to get beneath his skin and unsettle the man in the same way he was terrorizing Lois.
[Linked Image]

What had Jack done in his absence?
Told her that he loves her.
CLARK: shock

"I was able to get us three rooms that are by each other. I'll take 506. Lois you can have 508, and we'll put Clark in 510."
So, Clark’s right next to Lois. Wouldn’t it be better with Perry in between them? To prevent any illicit, premarital hanky panky from starting?

"I think--" Clark started to say, before deciding that she would only react negatively if he said anything about her door opening skills.
rotflol

"Superman didn't tell me anything." That was even the truth
From a certain point of view.

The hotel had clearly been designed for upscale business travelers.
So it belongs to Lex and has video surveillance equipment installed to better record the upscale business traveler and the upscale companion in the king-size bed?

Bad idea. He was tired -- and she was chicken.
rotflol
[Linked Image]

Clark laughed. "Night and day difference. This place is so much nicer than either of those were."
To be fair, neither of them had an amenity-Lois built in next door.

"Still, I bet you miss your bed."

"Yeah."

"Me, too." Her cheeks turned warm as she realized how that might have sounded.
rotflol

"This is my final guess. I promise I won't ever ask again after this one." There wouldn't be a need to ask, because if she was wrong, she'd die of embarrassment before morning.
laugh

"Oh my god, that's so great! I'm in love with you, too!"
shock

"I love you." Lois laughed from the sheer relief of having actually said the words out loud, then stopped abruptly. "Wait! Don't say it back! I'm coming over."
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Only after she had knocked on the door of 510 did it occur to her that she wasn't wearing any pants.
evil Also, no key, right?

End 8/12

Like Lois, I'm breathless with anticipation. Please, come say something!
*End*? *END*? What do you mean, by *END* of part 8/12!!!

wave Michael

LOL! We're on the PG side of the boards, so nothing else is coming off. In fact, I'll even admit that clothes get put on in the next part, instead of vice versa.
shock help thud [Linked Image]

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.