<readies nebulizer, just in case Anti-K causes me to stop breathing>

Two heartbeats.

Well, that's...something. Hope it stays that way!

“Stay with me. Don’t go. I need you. Don’t leave me all alone. Stay.”

whinging

They’re talking about him talking.

It's really bad when *this* is the biggest news going around...

They know his Secret, but they don’t know anything, not really, and he is still just as hidden, just as masked and anonymous, as he’s always been. They are standing or walking through or sitting in the same room with him, and they do not see him. They do not care. They do not understand.

But Lois *does* Clark. So does Jimmy. Please, lean on them...

and in their arms he is alive, and in their hearts he is a man worthy of love, and in their eyes he can believe that he belongs here, even if only for them, for their sakes.

So sad. So beautiful.

And then Lois turns the corner and she is coming toward him.

Good.

“I’m Superman now!” he exclaims, and it would be a roar, a scream of defiance, if he were not holding himself so resolutely beneath the tempo of those beats. “I save hundreds of people every day--I should have been Superman for them!”

Dagger...meet my heart.

“When my spaceship came down,” he says, quietly, in a monotone (because anything else will send him crashing into that endless chasm), “Mom and Dad were driving down an old country road. All they saw was a falling star, a dropped meteor. They could have just kept driving, could have looked back on it as nothing more than an interesting anecdote. But they didn’t. They stopped, and they looked for me, and when they found a defenseless baby in a UFO, they kept me. They…knew…somehow. Knew enough to go looking. Loved me enough to take me in and never seem to regret it even when it became obvious I’m not normal. They knew I needed them…and I should have known when they needed me. I should have…I should have known.”

whinging

Instead, she does what he needs most

*nods*

The woman he loves

Awwww!

By the time the surgeon finally comes out of the operating room, Clark is sure that an entire eternity has passed. By the time the surgeon finishes speaking, Clark wishes he could have that eternity back.

Um...this chapter is defective. It doesn't tell us exactly what happened. We're supposed to know if they'll really be okay or not. This is cruel and unusual punishment! You CAN'T stop there!

Lovely chapter. I loved the insight into Clark's emotions and the way that Lois is there to help him, in probably his greatest hour of need. And, of course, that despite everything, he still loves her. Now, please stop torturing us and post more.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon