Interesting exploration of character. I could definitely see Clark being torn up about Lex's death in this way.

I kept trying to second guess you while I was reading this. Would there be a revelation? First, I wondered if he came as Clark or as Superman. Clark had gone to HIS church dressed as Superman. That's a huge risk. Did his family priest know the truth? Would he recognize Clark's voice in the confessional and then only see he was speaking to Superman when he left?

Then you had Clark speak to him, face to face. Again, another huge risk. This man had known Clark since he was 7. Surely, a pair of glasses wouldn't fool him.

I was wondering if Paul would admit to recognizing Clark at the end or not, but even if he had he wouldn't admit it. Father Paul seemed to know enough about human foibles to know that Clark wouldn't be in costume (disguise) unless he felt the need to protect his family.

In the end, I was glad that there wasn't a revelation (or at least, one that Clark knew about). This story was about guilt Clark was feeling and how to overcome it. You portrayed Father Paul in a respectful manner with sound advice, despite his yellowed teeth (which I have to say is a very unpleasant feature to focus upon).

I am curious what Father Paul has to say for himself. Will he discuss the same event or Clark come to him a second time?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.