Part 201

The Truth is in the Details
clap That’s well timed!
LOIS: razz What’s well timed about the truth taking 200 parts to come out?

Lois was once more outpacing her coworkers on stories and overtime.
To be fair, the other reporters have relationships
CAT: wave
Kids
CAT: wave
or sexual harassment suits
RALPH: wave
to deal with.

Clark being her partner both on and off the clock had helped.
Lois now has access to superpowers 24/7 and Clark still gets to think he’s in a committed relationship with Lois?

She didn’t know if Clark had noticed, or even cared, that they rarely spent time over at her place.
I’m not sure that’s healthy. And it also can’t be healthy that she spends the nights alone at her apartment, trying to get a good night’s rest in a place that is giving her the creeps. Probably why they sedated her at the Luthor House the last time ‘round.

After a lecture from Perry about appropriate workplace behavior, they tried to limit their more passionate kisses for times and places when others wouldn’t be distracted.
So, just what, six months since Cat’s gone and the place is no longer able to deal with a coworker jumping another coworker on the copy-machine?

Clark hadn’t done anything to forward their relationship past kissing. Their relationship remained firmly lodged at first base and Clark, unlike his pre-investigation self, seemed blissfully content to stay there.
Tough to date a foreign prince who still holds to those…hmm…middle-ages…nah…that’s right! ‘50s movie morals!

She could be patient, Lois often repeated to herself. For now.
And if it doesn’t help, I’m sure [Linked Image] would be willing to help out.

Clark had made them roast chicken breast with a Caesar salad for dinner, which tasted better than anything Chef André had ever prepared.
Maybe because of the chocolate sauce Clark has supplied instead of the balsamic vinegar?

be absolutely…” She stumbled through her inner thesaurus and couldn’t find a better term. “— not right.”
laugh
CLARK: W.R.O.N.G. 9 points. smile
LOIS: Right. Wrong’s not a word. Try again, buddy.

the week Heller disappeared, put her definitely
I think there might be some extraneous punctuation in there.

“I just don’t understand how I know certain unknowable facts and totally mess up others. It’s so illogical.”
Right. Illogical.
LOIS: What?

“Oh?” she coaxed. She knew he was Kal-El, Superman, from Krypton. What else could he reveal?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“I’m…” Clark cleared his throat. “I’m from the future,” he replied. He exhaled as if revealing some grand truth.
[Linked Image]

If she hadn’t known Clark could fly, this announcement probably would have shocked her more and made her give thanks that their relationship wasn’t presently carnally intimate.
CLARA: Why I was so ticked off at Emmett.

He was talking time travel, without proof it was unbelievable.
Maybe a semicolon instead of the comma?

I don’t exist in the future.”
jawdrop She *knows* that they will become intimate in the next couple of months?
LOIS: Duh! Wait, what’s that got to do with anything?

“But if you met me in the future and then came back into the past prior to when we met, that me, that future me could no longer exist. That future me who didn’t fall in love with you as I have wouldn’t exist as I do now.”
[Linked Image]

She had read enough science fiction to know that wasn’t possible. “Okay; go on.”
HERB (from another dimension): Let me guess… ‘The Time Machine’? That was written by a total quack.

“And this future you made me the man I am today.”
There’s an ‘in’ missing smile

“And this future you made me the man I am today.”

“Bonkers?”
clap

Insulting that he had already been in love with her, with a different her, before he met this her… this just over a year ago her… the current her.
On the plus side, that way he at least wasn’t completely turned off by her brash demeanor and penchant for pilfering her colleagues’ stories.

and that I, not
Extra print here.

Nobody else had done so before… well, my adoptive folks took me in, but not since then. How could I not love you?”
So, will this not-from-Krypton/his-ex-fiancce-is-actually-right-here-next-door situation dawn on her?

“I am pretty loveable,” she admitted.
Right.

Clark set his hand over hers and smiled. “That you are.”
She was right.
LOIS: Duh!
Bonkers. Completely bonkers.
LOIS: Hey!

and I’m assuming that I fell in love with you too, why did you come back into the past to a time back before we had met?”

His face paled. “Something happened and… and… we couldn’t be together.”
She married another Clark. The one from her own dimension.
WRONG CLARK: [Linked Image]

“I lived as Superman twenty-four/seven and you… left… because… because we… couldn’t be together,”
So, he’s telling her that she’s a bad person instead of him replacing the first Lois with an imitation. Just like Lex did, come to think of it.

He turned his head away and murmured something that sounded like “Everyone dies.”
There’s actually stories that some people joke will end that way.

“No, you numbskull. Luthor’s actions and my actions and this stupid…” She waved her hands about her head. “— idiotic psychic ability is what got me shot. You didn’t factor into it at all!”
rotflol

“How many times do I have to tell you that you can’t be everywhere at once?”
He’s a numbskull, so…a lot?

There isn’t anything I can do to change the past.”

She threw her hands up into the air and screamed in frustration. “You just told me that you have the ability to travel through time!”
shock rotflol

“No!” she said. “But you’re free to follow me. That’s what you’re good at.”
Like a creepy stalker in the night, following her into her building?

You blame yourself for my death, don’t you?”
TEMPUS: Even I know the answer to that one. Duh!

Her mouth opened and greedily accepted this passionate response to her words.
So, make up [Linked Image]

Lois raised her index finger again and panted as she searched for air. “Don’t think this means we’re okay.”
CLARK: confused

Men really didn’t understand women, did they?
[Linked Image] It would be way too boring a world otherwise?

“Because nobody likes to be a consolation prize.”
But she’s not. She really is the best option available to him after Loises #1 and #2 got married or vanished in the Kongo.

“So, telling me that I’m second best is supposed do what then?
Third best.
CLARK: Not. Helping.

After everything he hadn’t told her, she decided she would let him squirm for a while.
And buy chocolates?

“I liked you better when you weren’t such an alpha dog.”
Just wait till he starts sniffing after that blonde ADA in a couple of weeks.

So, he told her! Kinda. Sorta. Not really.
Well…half the truth. Kinda. Sorta.

He didn't fall in love with a future version of her. He fell in love with another Lois (a different woman) and couldn't have her because she was married.
Actually, he fell in love with the future version of this Lois, well…this Lois when she was still a cub reporter before she got older…err…

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.