I, too, liked the switch in dialogue between Lois and Perry. I knew he was testing her in his tongue-in-cheek manner. Brilliant! clap

She hadn't managed a single word when they'd been introduced yesterday, and she hadn't actually spoken to him earlier, when his work was being read out.

"Hi, Clark," she smiled.

"Hi," he returned and placed down the papers.

"So, Perry's assigned you to help me." She made it seem like she was begrudgingly taking him as partner, terrified he'd figure out how she felt, otherwise - how she was desperate for some time with him.

"Really?" his eyes lit up.

Her heart skipped a beat and she panicked, automatically going into defensive mode and practicing misdirection. "So, let's hit it." She turned and walked away.
Awwww. I love this! Especially how Clark's eyes lit up. Is he excited because "it's her!" or because of her professional reputation, or a bit of both?

She needed some way to get in control. He was going to hear her rapidly beating heart soon. Perhaps he already had!
Does she recall that he can hear really well? How much of Clark's other talents does she know about?

"You like to be on top. Got it."

Her mouth dropped open, in shock. Had she really just given him that horrible attitude. He'd never fall in love with her if she behaved in that manner. And he'd turned her attitude into a joke with his reply. This was a disaster.

He entered the elevator and stood off to the side.

"I … I'm sorry Clark. I'm not used to working with a partner," she stuttered. She didn't elaborate because it would have meant explaining that she'd rejected every previous partner because … because they weren't him. She turned and looked up at him, smiling shyly.

His stunned look reminded her of the unusual situation she was in, and she whipped her head back to look at the closing elevator doors. A tear squeezed out of the corner of her eyes and she held herself stiffly to keep from shaking.

"Lois …" he spoke tentatively. "I've never worked with a partner before, either." His voice was soft. "We'll work it out together. Okay?" He sounded hopeful.

"Together," she whispered. A memory of how 'together' they would be struck her and she recalled his sarcastic retort to her rant. 'You like to be on top.' Her heart rate accelerated when she began imagining being 'on top' at the same time as being 'together'.
Okay, I'm feeling like I'm quoting the whole part now. blush I loved this snippet as well. Her change in attitude, her worrying about losing him before she caught him. Now, I am worried that she might lose him by being too nice. wink By not being herself around him. Or IS she being her true self around him and not the Mad Dog Lane self that she shows everyone else? Is she being herself with him sooner rather than later? Will have to read more to find out.

Again, all three were smiling. Lois reached out and picked up the photograph.

Family.

She immediately had the overwhelming feeling of family, love, commitment, reliability, responsibility.

Ten years ago these things, these feelings, would have meant something completely different to her. Her parent's marriage had been full of arguments, resentment, selfishness and blame. But she lived with the memories of a different marriage now. A marriage that was good, pure, giving, supportive.
I love how her memories of Clark and his love have influenced her as a reporter. She now sees things she didn't see before. hyper

Lois could suddenly feel Clark's presence behind her, even though he was still at the other side of the room. She was overwhelmed by a longing to experience her own family. Now that Clark was here that longing had changed into an impatient desire, rather than a wistful waiting.
Awwww. Yes, Lois, don't scare him off.

Too short. More please! grovel

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.