Ooh, insightful feedback! Y'all are the best, hands down.

Virginia, it may be that Lois was getting attention from her family with her Danger Mouse lifestyle, but I thought of it as misplaced priorities. Until this point, she was putting her mission in life - taking down the bad guys - ahead of taking care of her family. She just never quite realized it until this scene happened. When faced with the loss of her family, it finally dawned on her that they were her number one priority.

But your analysis works too. It's an example of my readers finding things in my stories that I didn't deliberately put in. I'd never considered that Lois was still trying to justify herself to her father, her husband, her editor, or even to herself by calling attention to herself in courting trouble.

Your analysis of Jon, his life goals, and their effect on Lois is fascinating. No wonder your stories are so good. You think of things that don't pop up on my radar.

Aside from Ogden Nash's "Custard the Dragon," I can't think of any kind and family-friendly dragons. They're nearly always selfish, greedy, mean, and vengeful. devil Oops! Spoilers.

There will be ups and downs coming, but I can assure you that I don't plan a disaster in this tale (aside from the one I've been telegraphing all along). Clark's extended family will indeed come through for him and his children.

Death of a loved one always - always - leaves wounds and scars, some of which don't heal completely. We'll see some of those injuries show up before the end.

Mike and Amy, I'm glad you liked the kids' actions and reactions. Jon and Marta are as mature as I wish my own children were.

Morgana, you're right about Clark not wanting to lose Lois, not just for himself but for their children. Again, that's an insight I didn't deliberately wave in the readers' faces.

Next chapter up in moments. Bring tissues.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing