I've started reading my kids the Harry Potter series this summer. I know it's on the list (having seen it there before). Some people who haven't read it think that because the main characters are witches and wizards, they are anti-religious. If they read it, they'd realize that most of the main characters in it are Christian, who celebrate Christmas and Easter. The books are about finding the good in yourself and others, while fighting against bigotry, elitism, child abuse, bullies, and the other evils in the world.

I could see not letting elementary school kids read some books which were more age-appropriate for middle or high schoolers, but banning a book without having read it says more about the banner than the book being banned.

"The Music Man" musical was performed in my town recently and one of the topics in that play is about the naughty books Marion the librarian has on her shelves. By the end of the play, those women who were saying what horrible books they were had actually read them and were spouting off how good they were. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.