Wow. I just looked this up and OMG this is ridiculous. It's one thing if you don't want yourself (or your child) to be reading a certain subject matter-- settle with your own conscience. Also, if there's sensitive or thematic subject materials, it's a teacher's decision to gauge what the class is ready for (i.e. we read Romeo&Juliet freshman year, but Hamlet didn't come along until senior year, because of the incest-y vibes). There's some novels I've read that I wish I hadn't, same as anyone. But to try and get books BANNED because of your own personal opinion? That's ridiculous. Don't prevent someone else from having an experience simply because you didn't like yours. (For example, I couldn't get through "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath in high school, because of personal reasons. It's the only book I actually didn't read. However, I wouldn't stop anyone else from reading it-- just because it was a bit triggering for me doesn't mean it might not be cathartic for someone else to read.)

But from what I've seen of the "banned books list," I owe my English teachers a big thanks. Because I've read at least half of the books on there. Also, I think it's the height of irony that "Fahrenheit 451" is on some of the lists I've seen. Just sayin'.

Like you said though Annie, just knowing there's a list out there makes me want to comb through and read them all. grin It's the rebel in me.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain