Jimmy hasn't always been a photographer. For a long time he was a "cub reporter", which seemed to mean intern or junior reporter.
Yeah, the radio show introduced him as a copy boy (at 14) and he was a cub reporter by time he was 17. We also got the head copy boy and a copy girl (who I think was 15 in her first appearance and 14 when she showed up again a while later), and Tony the reporter. Nice to get the staff fleshed out a little.

And just FTR, Google does turn up some real-life folks who started out as copy boys at that age. I know I read about one just recently when looking at the background of a show/network, but can't recall who. I just seem to remember the man being written about dropped out of school when he got that job.

Actually, can anyone tell me when Jimmy did morph into a photographer? I've gotten up to 1946 in the radio show, and Jimmy is not a photographer, there, but I know the comic could be completely different, of course.

Edited to Add: So a websearch lead me to a page that said Jimmy became a photographer with the Adventures of Superman tv show? And that he was not very often in the comics in the 40s? That sound right to everyone?