Originally posted by John Lambert:
... with Clark not being at the planet at all until the final scene, there is hope they will do a lot more with the Daily Planet in the sequel.
I hope so, too. As much as I like seeing Superman flying around being super, I like a good balance between Superman and Clark. Part of Superman's charm for me is seeing this overwhelmingly powerful person having a day job and dealing with everyday problems.

I like having another character to flesh out the newsroom, but I don't think Jenny can really fill Jimmy's role. She can't be Clark's pal in quite the same way just because male/female dynamics are different from male/male dynamics. I liked the scene in Superman Returns where Jimmy took Clark out for a drink because it showed a glimpse of their friendship. (I had other issues with the scene, though, because it's Clark's first day back at work and he takes a break in the middle of the day to go drinking? That's weird.)

I think Jimmy has been underutilized in all the Superman movies. He had a much greater role in the radio show, The Adventures of Superman, Lois and Clark, and the comics, to the point that he got his own series for a while. In the movies he's mostly been a background character just to have a co-worker for Lois or Clark to interact with for a scene or two. Maybe it's easier to use him more in an episodic format because you can have occasional Jimmy-heavy storylines while keeping Lois and Clark the main characters.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)