According to the good people at LibriVox, USB headsets generally offer better quality than traditional microphones. The downside with them is that the volume can be a little harder to control.

Personally, I'm fond of Logitech. They make two good models: the 250 and the more upscale 350. I have a 250. Not sure how easy the 350s are to find, or if they're even worth the extra money. But Logitech products in general tend to be good quality.

But... go to the electronics store and see what they have available.

One thing you can check while buying is the microphone's frequency range. Higher quality mics will be sensative to a broader range of frequencies, perhaps even up to the nigh-inaudiable 21,000 khz level.

Oh, and my Logitech headset has a handy feature... there's a second sensor on the outside of the mic, directly opposite the part that faces me. It uses that to automatically cancel out some degree of background noise. Not sure how effective it really is, but it's cool to have.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.