The question is pretty simple, but the explanation... wink

I'm looking at my next fic and it occurred to me that the total number of chapters could be very high. This is, in part, because the chapters are shorter. When I was writing/posting Learning to Love, I ended up with chapters in the 45-5500 word range. At times that got to be hard to keep up with. When I started my next fic, I put closer to 2500-3000 words in a chapter but the story itself isn't any shorter, if that makes sense. So a for instance: LtL would have been something like 80-90 shorter chapters instead of the 52 chapters it ended up being.

As I'm getting ready to start posting On The Other Hand, I'm a bit torn. Would I rather stick with shorter chapters and post every 36-48 hours or combine many of them into longer chapters and post every 60-72 hours or so? [I'm using those time frames because otherwise it'll take eons to post.] I have 36 of the current chapters done - consecutive with another 8-10 finished but not consecutive and I'm guessing the 36 is about halfish done, but not really sure on that. Could be more, could be less.

Anyway - I'm going to ask one question with those details because they're specific and one generic.

So would you rather have shorter chapters posted more often or longer chapters less often?

As always, feel free to explain your answer smile .
Carol

Edit: Is it possible to define TOO short or TOO long? Is it a word count thing? Or a page thing? [Different fonts or lots of short dialogue will take up more pages with less words than long paragraphs of description - that's why I personally usually go with word count when writing chapters.] A logical breaking point is obvious too, sometimes that makes it a bit longer or a bit shorter, but generally speaking... [I addressed this below before I edited this smile .]