Originally posted by Elisabeth:
But now that we've taken the poll, the question is what to do with the data. Do we write only what others have said they want to read, or do we write for our own enjoyment?

(...)

I, for one, am going to continue to write what *I* consider to be a good story instead of taking the politicians' approach. It's not that I'm knocking the poll--I think it's very interesting--I just think that too much thinking makes people think too much and write too little.
I agree with you pretty much wholeheartedly. In the end it is my personal belief that story writing has the most potential when the story and the characters are close to the author's heart.

This poll wasn't intended to facilitate the "politicians' approach", it was started out of curiosity and because of a few questions I had.
And for me, at least, it has proved to be interesting smile

As I pointed out earlier, I signed up for a "Men in Trees" crossover, which so far only one other persons who took the poll seems to know and I am *the only one* who wants to read a crossover with ...
I would never have expected this because a lot of things that drew me to Lois & Clark also drew me to Men in Trees (romance, great supporting cast, fun banter, chemistry between leads), so I expected there to be more people who liked the show here huh
Will that keep me from my crossover story?
No, but I will probably adjust my expectations in terms of readership and feedback smile

And for other crossover ideas that I came up with (James really planted a bug with that thread, at least in my head), if I should decide to actually write any of them, I might go for one of the shows which is a little more widely known. (Out of the ones I actually like and have ideas for, I wouldn't for example write about Heroes, even though I watched the first season and it seems to be popular, simply because it wouldn't work for me.)

Btw, in spite of this poll, I'm almost 2,000 words into my story *yay*

Have a great weekend smile

kill a cliché, save a reader