I often put myself to sleep at night imagining a scene. Usually, though, I'm imagining something I'm working on or starting to dream the next thing I write, but what I'm doing is shortening the writing process by creating a movie in my head. Since I don't have the stress of having to find words for the scene, I can work through it dozens of times, trying to figure out what the characters are saying to each other and just enjoying the process.

My luxury item would be unlimited paper and pens, too, Yvonne. In fact, that's what I take with me on the houseboat for a week--an empty notebook, a copy of the last 20 pages I've written, and several pens. However difficult it is to translate a completely visual experience into language, I love it. I'm perfectly happy sitting in the shade on the deck of our boat, writing on a story, working on backstory or character profiles, editing my rough draft. It's hard, but I love it. Kind of like my daily 4-mile walk in the summer. Four miles is tiring for me, but it's pleasurable to use my body the way it was designed to be used, and I think writing uses my mind the way it was made to work.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/