Rivka,
It's been at least five years since I've picked up a Hambly book so it's tough to cite chapter and verse. When I was reading her work, it did happen quite frequently, though not enough to keep me from reading.

Typically, she would have a character begin a sentence, spend about 10 pages thinking about something, and then pick up the sentence again. With that much space between completion of a sentence, it left me flipping back wondering how the sentence started.

Example of books of hers I've read are the Darwath Trilogy, which are among my favorites, the two sequels to the trilogy, Mother of Winter and Icefalcon's Quest (neither quite as good as the trilogy), the Silent Tower/Silicon Mage, Ladies of Mandrigyn/Witches of Wenshar, Dragonsbane (this one was chock full of excessive introspection, IIRC), her Star Trek novels (don't recall any excesses in these), and her first vampire book, Those Who Hunt the Night. I don't think I've read anything more of hers recently.

As for Anne Rice, it happened far too often making for very tough reading. After Queen of the Damned, I finally gave up on Rice novels as just too tedious.

P.S. Barbara Hambly is a very nice lady. She lives in LA and occasionally does English Regency dancing, which is where I met her.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin