I had to go with "other" for both questions.

Both of the options to the first question are forms of introspection. As to whether either is necessary, that rather depends on what story you are telling!

Some stories are not primarily about events, but about evaluating or reevaluating something. Introspection -- of one type or the other or possibly both -- would be rather necessary.

Some stories are all about what someone does or fails to do. Introspection may be used; or may be specifically omitted (for impact, to allow the reader to draw her own conclusions).

Many stories are both about events and reactions to them.

Both they and all of my fiction writing manuals say that introspection should be used sparingly. *Some* is good, but pages and pages of it isn't.
Guidelines are good; rigid adherence to them is rarely so. There are some impressive short stories that are solely introspective, just as there are some that have no introspection whatsoever.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun