I think the problem with your proposal, Schoolmarm, is that there wasn't enough of an offence in what Mel posted to warrant that stage of intervention.

If you read Pam's post you'll see that she talks of pushing the envelope. IOW, Mel was pushing dangerously close to being over the line - but she wasn't all the way there yet. wink It was a borderline case. Therefore, a gentle warning to Mel to keep in mind the ratings limit of this section of the board was issued instead. I wasn't involved in that decision, but I think it was the right one - we're not in the business of being draconian or editing/deleting posts without giving posters a fair chance first to realise their mistake and play by the rules.

In that sense, yes, you have misinterpreted the role of the moderators and admins. It's all about trying to gently persuade members to abide by the clearly stated rules of the mbs, rather than forcing them to with arbitrary acts of censorship or editing. It's a balancing act, taking each case on its merits, rather than a strict policing role.

I am certain, however, that if Mel - or anyone else - continued to push and not heed the warnings given to her, then other options would be considered by the Admins. And certainly if someone posted outright offensive language then action would be taken to remove the post.

I take your point regarding the debate that followed on naturally from the warnings issued. The Admins didn't start a thread of discussion on the subject, but there was, of course, no way to prevent those with genuine concerns on the issues raised or questions from posting their opinions. Nor should there have been as they're perfectly entitled to do so - and as I stated earlier no one was rude about it.

But this did mean that Mel's inopportune comments got more attention than they might otherwise have done - always the problem in this kind of matter.

Perhaps, in future, we might mail someone a reminder of the ratings limits instead. However, there is also a bonus in making the warning public in that you shake out any misunderstandings among other members about what is permitted and what isn't and save yourself time in repeating yourself. While reminding one member you will probably in passing remind others too and prevent a situation arising before it does. Which is obviously preferable to having to warn someone after the event.

Again...a balancing act. And there is an element of feeling our way in this - it's a new situation for most of us acting as moderators/admins and we're learning as we go. But I'm sure we'll be discussing the issues arising out of this matter and thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. It's certainly something I'm sure we'll consider for the future. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers