i'm sorry, chris. i can't vote here. i'm a fan of both a-plots and b-plots. i can't say that one should take precedence over the other, because it really depends on the individual story.

how much i like a story is based far more on the quality of the writing, the mood of the story, the specifics of the plot, etc than it is on a-plot vs b-plot.

personally, i tend to drift more towards happier, feel-good stories than i do towards tense and/or angsty stories. that's just a trend, and can be overcome by quality of writing (masques, for example). my point is that it's more the type of a-plot and the type of b-plot that makes a difference to me.

i think if you see a lot of demands for smoochies, it's probably because watching l&c kiss is a simple popular instant gratification sort of thing.

put differently, everyone wants dessert (and loves to ask for it), but you still need the main course to make it a proper meal.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.