Well, now that a couple of episodes have aired, what do people think? Fortunately it's airing in the UK only a couple of days after the USA, and I've seen episode 2 thanks to a friend with satellite.

I'm enjoying it so far, and Whedon seems to have taken a lot of care to remember the series' roots in comics - for example, the final scene of the first episode, with Lola, was probably inspired by the 1965 comic that introduced SHIELD, which had the SHIELD agents pick up Nick Fury in a similarly-equipped vehicle. And the fact that I remember that nearly 50 years later shows how vivid an image it was...

The plots of both episodes weren't especially complicated, but I think we're still in the "getting to know the characters" phase. Nick Fury's brief appearance in episode 2 was a very nice touch, and the mystery of Coulson's survival is more of a mystery - all of the robot double theories now seem to be ruled out since robots don't bleed, which still leaves magic, cloning, another body programmed with Coulson's memories (a la Dollhouse), etc.

So what did everyone else think?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game