Hi LabRat,

BTW, another irksome new addition to this updated version, it seems, is for it to refuse to install unless you uninstall 'conflicting programs' like ZoneAlarm and MS Security Essentials.
I had had that problem, too. What had happened with me was that I had installed the free edition of AVG 2011 a little while ago, and it worked fine until last night. Even though I have it set to update automatically, the tray icon indicated there was a problem; specifically, that my virus and spyware databases were out of date. When I tried to update them, it wouldn't let me. Long story short, I resolved the problem by downloading the installer again and when I launched it, that was when it asked me whether I wanted to "repair" AVG. Once AVG was repaired, everything was fine. At some point during the process, it told me that I needed to uninstall ZoneAlarm. Instead of uninstalling it, I just shut it down temporarily. Once AVG was properly installed, I restarted it. AVG seems perfectly content to run alongside ZoneAlarm now; the firewall just had to be shut down during the installation process.

I didn't like leaving my computer sans firewall or antivirus program for those few minutes, and I made sure to scan my computer immediately afterwards. I hope I won't have to repeat that process any time soon. Last night I was too tired to think clearly. If I were to do it again, I would try running Windows Firewall while ZoneAlarm was shut down. I'm not sure whether AVG would install correctly with that firewall in place, but it would be worth a try.

Joy,
Lynn