Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I finally just reinstalled AVG - at least that gets me back to it just being annoying and flashing up error messages.

BTW, another irksome new addition to this updated version, it seems, is for it to refuse to install unless you uninstall 'conflicting programs' like ZoneAlarm and MS Security Essentials. I deeply resent this as AVG has run alongside ZA for years without any issues at all. And since I'm less than sure that AVG is working as it should, I'm not exactly inclined to remove either. I got around it by uninstalling MSSE and then installing it again once AVG was installed.

Lynn, where do I find 'repair'. I can't see that option anywhere and it's probably worth a try.

Sue, I'm always loathe to do a system restore in case I lose something else I might have changed in the same period that I don't want to lose. Not that I make many changes to my pc, so it would probably be fine, but it still freaks me out. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers