Classicella, I believe that was 1988 (Lloyd Bentson to Dan Quayle), so 20 years ago. Killer line. I remember Reagan having fun with it: "Senator, I knew Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln was a friend of mine." goofy

One other thing about Biden's speech that stuck out to me:

I've forgotten more about foreign policy than most of my colleagues know, so I'm not being falsely humble with you.
Now, I understand the figure of speech and all, but I don't know if he should be bragging about *forgetting* about foreign affairs.

Michael, you said:
The problem is that somewhere between his brain where the idea originated and his mouth where it finally saw daylight the "Biden Factor" came into affect.
Yeah, very likely. smile I also think it's possible that underneath that loyal running mate persona, he still worries about Obama's inexperience, so this is a reflection of his own inner fears (conscious or subconscious).

Well, this campaign needed some comic relief, anyway. Biden's a gold mine.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K