Okay, what on earth does this comment *mean*?

First, let me say that I *loved* the article, JoJo. I was homeschooled and yes, I've gotten some of those questions (in hindsight, as people ask about my growing up years). Fortunately, I've gotten more admiring/interested questions, or the wow, I couldn't do that, but kudos to your mom.

However, then I read the comments. {roll eyes} I must say that these attitudes bother me more than the things brought up in the original article. I should know better than to reply, I should, I should...

Someone posted a comment:
A coworker homeschools.

We hear all about how good thwy do, how much they learn.

I asked about biology labs, couldn’t imagine a lab rat dissection at thekithen table.

Sure enough, we use software for that.

Came time for college.

Finally found a school that would let the little tike in without remedial classes and extensive testing.

6 months later, he’s gathering carts at Wal-Mart.

3 years later, same same.

Yep, homeschooling worked for him.
(all original typos - I simply copied and pasted) (And, for the record, I used computer software for my frog dissection in a public high school.)

Yes, I was dumb, I responded. (sorry for blatant bragging)

And I was homeschooled, graduated summa cum laude from undergrad, was chosen to give the commencement speech, earned awards from my major departments and the honors college, and got a full ride scholarship plus stipend to law school.

A child’s success during homeschooling and afterwards is *TOTALLY* dependent on the parents and how well they are taught. If the parents do a piss-poor job, then it’s no surprise the kid fails at life. If the parents actually bother to teach their kids (*how* to learn, not just the facts for the test), then those kids will take those skills to every arena they ever enter - and succeed.
And got this reply, from the same person DSDragon was talking about:
How many homeschooled lawyers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None, because their mommy and daddy forgot to tell them how.
Can I just say, WHAT THE HECK?!?!? How on earth does that reply to my comment? And, actually, sorry to burst your bubble, dodobrain, but my mother *DID* tell me how to screw in a lightbulb. She just wouldn't let me do it at the top of the stairs because she was sure I'd fall down them if I got on a stepstool there (she's right - I'm a supreme klutz). And even if she didn't, she taught me how to *learn* - so I can certainly figure out how to do the things that we didn't actually learn as children.

Sorry, rant over. But I did like the original article, Jojo!

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.