if I know that X candidate is claiming to be anti-Y, but voted FOR it in the past, X is suspect unless X had a darn good reason.
I actually had an experience similar to that. I had e-mailed my congressman (or was it my senator? I can never remember which person is which) about a bill that would fund healthcare for poor children. I got a response back saying that he'd voted against renewing the bill, because it had basically changed so that it was funding healthcare for more middle-class children than for truly poor children.

The League of Women voters was pushing for this bill to get renewed, so I e-mailed them and asked why that was, if what my congressman/senator said was true. I never got a response.

So, that's all a round-about way of saying that even though he voted against the issue he'd been saying he was always FOR, he DID have a really good reason--or it seemed he did to me. It would've been great if I could've gotten the LWV's perspective on it, seen it from a different angle.

But without their input, I can only conclude that he was telling the truth, and I'd probably vote him back into office if his term is coming to an end during this election. I can't remember whether or not I actually voted for him in the first place.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place