I had a friend commit suicide a few years ago, and the only thing more painful than losing him was the finger-pointing that went on afterward. So blaming-for-the-suicide aside, the parents who instigated the hoax infuriate me. Merely spying on your daughter's friend is one thing -- pathetic, to say the least -- but probably the least of her transgressions. Even if the parents thought Megan was saying mean things about her daughter, why be mean in return? Why not just spy, learn what you want to learn, etc. -- why be cruel as well? Sounds like those parents are still 13 at heart and thought being involved in a teenage hatefest would be good for kicks. Or maybe they're just crazy, I don't know.

Here were are debating whether a 13-year-old girl should be allowed to have a MySpace. If it's a maturity issue, there are plenty of *adults* who should not be allowed access.

I really feel for Megan. I had a falling out with an online friend a while ago, and while I chose to keep my gripes to myself and to people who were not personally friends with this person, she chose to smear me on her LiveJournal, an audience which consisted of several of our mutual friends. I didn't take me long to stop reading her LJ altogether, but she kept at it (people told me.) Eventually I stopped letting it bother me. Let her do what she wants, I have better things to do than get upset. Online drama is rampant, and it doesn't stop with teenagers -- this person is old enough to be Megan's mother -- and that's why I have no trouble *believing* that a teenager's parents could be capable of such things. Still, it's just so pathetic. Plus, it was providing their own daughter with a terrible lesson -- that spying and trickery (not to mention cruelty) are somehow the norm. Whatever demons/drama issues they were facing in their own lives, they were wrong to attack a child.

I remember junior high as being an emotional battlefield, and as someone else said up there, you're so sensitive at that age anyway, about your looks especially. Plus you're trying to figure out relationships and you have so little life experience to go on. Even at 27, I find it difficult knowing who to trust and dealing with friends who turn into foes.

In conclusion, what those hoax parents (and apparently their daughter also) did was sick, and the fact that they feel no remorse (for at least being jerks if nothing else) makes me wonder what else they're capable of.

Molly