The one thing I'd warn you about is that you can be allergic to some cats and not others. mad

I've grown up with cats and dogs and mice and rats and hamsters and gerbils and rabits and guinea pigs, so I never thought I'd be allergic to small furry things. But I moved in with my housemate and her cat a year ago and I found that I'm allergic to this particular cat. Only slightly, so I can live with it. But it was a bit of a shock. eek

So I would see if they will take the cat back if there are problems. This is probably the advantage of a rescue centre over a breeder. I know it's hard if you have a bond with a little one and then have to take it back, but it's better for you both in the long run.

Most of our pets (all the dogs and cats, the rats, and some of the rabits and hamsters) came from rescue centres, or where aquired by us because they didn't have anywhere else to go (you develop a bit of a reputation for therse things if you're not careful laugh ). There's too many unwanted pets out there, and in the UK at least, too many unscrupulous breeders. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else.

I would make sure you've got a couple of days where you can be at home all day to make sure you can settle the cat in properly. In the UK rescue centres do home visits to make sure you're suitable. I've no idea if they do the same in France. All they really want to make sure is that you understand the responsibilities, that your house is suitable (i.e. you're not going to try and fit an Irish Wolfhound into a 1 bedroom 4th floor flat...), and that you know how to care for your pet properly.

Oh, and in the UK rescue centres they spay/neuter all cats and dogs before they are rehomed. I don't know if they do the same in France, but if they don't, have it done anyway. As they used to tell us in Sex-ed, it only has to happen once....

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.