While speaking in strict timeline, it seems that the episodes contradict each other (i.e. Clark's glasses fooling Lois for 3 yrs), there really were four years that went on. Any mistakes in dialogue for parts like the one just mentioned could be attributed to the way we as humans keep track of time (which is to say, NOT by the calander year). Particularly when dealing with schools, we often keep track of time based on the fall semesters, which is why when we say we graduate in 2011 it really means the 2010-2011 school year. Just a thought, since it's 3.30 am right now a lot of this might not make much sense...
This fuzziness does sound like the best way to approach things.

which, as much as we've been trained to believe and analyze works based on the assumption that everything was done intentionally by the writer, we writers know half of which is pretty much crap spun out of thin air
What???? Dismiss canon? Next you're telling me Superman isn't real.

On a related subject: What if the show actually jumped around multiple parallel time streams with just minor deviations regarding when something happened. This way, we could watch S3 Lois lamenting about 3 years of fooling even while we've been watching a different Lois in season 1 and 2.

Okay, *now* I have a headache.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.