My problem with this whole arc had always been; not that she had rejected Clark as a romantic partner, but that she would have even considered Luthor as one.
I kind of agree with this. Not that Luthor shouldn't have been incorporated into some love triangle situation because those tend to grab attention, but that it was just so simple. For instance, in showing us Luthor as the bad guy behind the scenes from the very beginning we already develop a bias against Lois which makes it more difficult to accept any attraction to him. Why not hang a shroud of unconfirmed suspicion over him for a while? Knowing clearly what he does makes it easier to side with Clark and scream at the tv "don't you see?!"

It also makes it even harder, like tank said, when we don't see any really credible reason why Lois would all of a sudden be so inclined to go for a marriage of convinience. This is another of those moments when I think that the character's inner lives were skimmed over in favor or monster of the week type of stuff. Like Tank said, just the Daily Planet couldn't have been enough. But I do believe that the writers could have found a way to make us believe that Luthor was a reasonable choice for a Lois--it just would take more than a couple of episodes to show in painful detail her arrival at that choice. My theory is that such a thing would be too real and too painful to be shown in the lighthearted ABC spot that it was. A shame.

alcyone (who thinks that straight male/female friendships always end up becoming complicated with or without sex)

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png