Sounds like a story idea to me. Write it up.

In most of the rewrites of this particular scene in fics that I remember we've seen it from Clark's pov and thus have had the emotions skewed in that direction. I don't remember many fics using Lois pov. It might be interesting to see her thought processes as she compares Lex to Clark, and Superman.

My problem with this whole arc had always been; not that she had rejected Clark as a romantic partner, but that she would have even considered Luthor as one. Lois was, is, and had always been an independant woman. While she may have harbored deep romantic feelings for a knight in shining armor (which probably was Superman's role) she had never shown a desire or a prediliction for 'needing' a man in her life.

The whole 'support structure' theory that has always been trotted out never held much water for me. Granted the Daily Planet had been taken away and that would have been huge. But Lois was shown to be loyal to her 'real' friends and rather than running off to a man she didn't love for the sake of 'stability', I'd see her joining together with her friends in trying to get to the bottom of what happened and where they (as a group) would go from there.

Even if everything else had gone wrong, I still can't see Lois marrying anyone she doesn't love. Marriage was never important enough for her to feel as if it was something that she 'needed'. In my mind, the only reason Lois would ever commit to marriage was if she was truly in love with someone and wanted to be with that person in a 'go to bed every night and wake up every moring together' sort of way. I don't see her as a person to accept a 'marriage of conveince' as was presented on the show.

Of course, were talking about television writers here, and never let it be said that they'd let a little thing like 'being in character' get in the way of what they wanted to accomplish in their storyline.

Tank (who thinks that it's possible that true friends could have a deeper relationship than romantic partners because there's no sexual component to 'confuse' things)