Here's another mystery you can probably solve for me: When Lois has to disarm the bomb (I think in "Ordinary People"?) because Clark can't move, how come Perry's shove sends him forward? I know, Perry might hurt his hand if he shoved Clark hard enough, but Clark wasn't really looking at him, so would he have known to lower his whatever-it-is enough to allow Perry to shove him in the first place? And if he did, wouldn't Perry spraining his wrist be preferable to blowing everyone up?
Just because Clark is immensely strong doesn't mean that he is rooted to the ground like a tree or weighs as much as a boulder and therefore can't be shoved. In fact, the only time someone should be unable to move him is when he has set himself to resist. Then, he's using his enormous strength and is truly immovable. Otherwise, he should be as easy to move as anyone else.

In this particular case, Perry could easily push Clark forward because he was already mentally leaning that way, his entire attention directed toward Lois under the table.

As far as the issue of people not being able to sneak up on Clark because of his incredible senses, I don't see why that would be any more true for him than anyone else. For example, when my children were small, I could hear them at the other end of the house (several rooms away) and immediately tell if they were doing something that would get them in trouble--just by the sound. And yet ... when I was staring at my typewriter (yes, pre-PC days), they could stand next to me and ask me a question and I wouldn't hear them at all. Did I suddenly go deaf? Not physically. But I simply stopped listening. No one was getting into trouble, so my auto-hearing didn't kick in, and I was too totally focused on my writing to notice what was going on around me.

Clark may be an alien, but in every way that counts, he is as human as the rest of us. When he is focused on Lois, he simply isn't listening for anything except her, so he doesn't hear it. His senses have to work that way or he would be driven insane by the constant cacophony of all the voices, traffic, equipment, etc. within miles around him. Other than that subconcious "listening for people in trouble" or "listening for someone approaching" when he and Lois are engaged in B&E, he pretty much hears what he listens to ... just like the rest of us.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/