E
R
S
P
A
C
E
MARTHA
I unpacked some brownies for now and I'll freeze the rest. Oh and my homemade applesauce is in the fridge, too.

CLARK
Mom, every time you guys pass through town, you bring me enough food for the winter.

MARTHA
It's what we do, Honey. Take care of our son with his favorite foods, good advice, and unconditional support. No big deal.

CLARK
I wish the rest of the world worked that way. A guy makes one, admittedly big, mistake, and suddenly I'm pond scum. Bam! The door slams in my face and the Supreme Court isn't hearing any more appeals.

JONATHAN
Trouble with Lois, huh?

CLARK
Remember that great idea I had about breaking up with Lois? 'Cause being close to me put her at risk?

JONATHAN
Yeah, we were afraid that wouldn't sit too well.

MARTHA
You said you'd tell her you were wrong and everything would be fine.

CLARK
Yeah, well everything's not fine! We're hardly speaking! Don't you think she's making a mountain out of a molehill?

(off their uncomfortable silence)

Folks?

MARTHA
Frankly, I have to go with Lois on this one, Clark. Jonathan?

CLARK
Dad?

JONATHAN
I have to go with your mother.

CLARK
This isn't how it works. You're my parents, you side with me.

MARTHA
We _are_ on your side in the big picture. We want you to be happy
and Lois makes you happy. Unless you make her unhappy. Then she makes you unhappy. And that makes us unhappy.

JONATHAN
Son, love and marriage are a partnership. Both people are equal in the partnership. Bottom line, they make their decisions together.

CLARK
So you're saying I should go crawling back on my hands and
knees.

MARTHA
No, sweetheart. Fly back. It's faster.

And, yup, definitely a classic favourite there.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers