I think the fun categories would be more easier to nominate in if when looking at a list of 100 stories people's eyes didn't glaze over and they start mumbling because they couldn't remember if a story was funny or a tear-jerker or one of those odd ones that mixes the two ( ) Maybe for 2014 we could have threads in FanFic Related folder that said, if your story was a comedy (or action or WAFF or Alt-Dimension / Next Gen / Elsewhere, etc) and is on the eligible list, put it one this list, so people say. Okay, here are all 20 comedies eligible. I liked these 4 the best; I'll nominate those. I believe that would make the nomination process easier, especially for people who don't visit the boards on a regular (hourly, daily, weekly) basis or have limited time.
Maybe authors could voluntarily post one-paragraph summaries of their nominated stories, and the summaries could be included with the hyper-linked list. That would help jog readers' memories about which story they had read was which.
These are good suggestions. Another which might be helpful - back in the day, it used to be common for readers to keep a Kerth file on their pc and add to it throughout the year whenever they read a story they felt was Kerth-worthy, adding in the cat(s) they felt it might fit. That way, when the Kerths rolled around, the info was right there at our fingertips. I recall, it definitely made noms much easier! Plus, we used to have a lot of fun on IRC, chatting about recent additions we’d made to our lists.

You DO have to be a member of the Boards (is that not correct?) with a member name / alias / pen-name to vote,
Oh, not at all. No, all you need to be to qualify for participation in the Kerths is a genuine FoLC. We often get noms/votes in from FoLCs who don’t hang out here, but simply read the stories on the Archive, for example. We’ve had issues in the past with authors/nominees trying to pad their vote with noms from family / friends / work colleagues / the cat, who wouldn’t know Lois or Clark if they stepped on them, but those non-FoLCs are usually easy to spot, one way or another.

(who I'm sure would also accept applications for new GEs if you are grammatically inclined).
Absolutely! It’s been getting increasingly difficult over the past few years to find FoLCs willing to give up some of their free time to GE and as a result, it doesn’t take much to tip us over into a growing list of stories pending assignment to a GE, while we wait for GEs to free up.

Recently, we’ve seen the best year ever for the Archive with regards to submissions – the upload queue has never looked healthier and I have so much red on my assignments sheet, I swear it looks like a Russian flag these days! goofy (red being how I denote a story out on assignment). So a big thanks to all those who’ve turned that around for us. You’re all stars! And keep it up! I’d rather have a large pending file, than months of nothing coming in.

So, it would be nice to have just one or two more GEs in the pool, to help avoid log-jams and spread the workload a little more for our current small band of Edit Elves. You know where to mail if you’re keen. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers