Well, I’m learning something new every day. It appears that I’ve never had scones properly before. The ones I’ve had have been these dry triangular brick things.

Nothing beats biscuits hot out of the oven with cold butter on them. My family puts jelly or jam on them but I don’t believe in desecrating something so perfect with sugar. I’d be interested to hear what you think of them across the pond(s).

Note: Do NOT overmix the ingredients. If you do, you’ll end up with something as bad as the “scones” I’ve had.

A parking garage is the same thing as a parking structure. I think of a parking structure as less protected from the elements.

Some northern homes also have carports but they don’t perform any meaningful purpose-- snow still piles up and it is more difficult to shovel. Also, many apartments and condominiums have carports rather than garages.

Funny, I’ve never heard the term “parking bay”. Regional terms are all strangely dispersed though. Groceries usually go into a “bag” in the north but in a “sack” in the south. Water comes from a “drinking fountain” here but I think the term is “bubbler” there. We drink “pop”—southerners and the west coast people drink “soda”. It's amazing we can communicate in our own country.

Since Queen of the Capes brought it up I’ve been thinking about the “in hospital”/”in school” usage. It bugs me that we’re not consistent. I think part of the (American) difference might be referring to a specific place versus a generic concept or a title. I would go to “a school” building (“the school” if everyone knew which one I was mentioning) but “in school” means that I’m attending classes at an institution. I would go to “a/the hospital” building if I was hurt but “in the hospital” means the person has been admitted. Then again, my father-in-law goes to “the hardware” and it’s like nails-on-a-chalkboard every time. (I can see him standing in his back yard looking over a jumbled pile of rusted metal when he says it. Dan, it’s a hardware STORE!)

Shallowford