Originally posted by ccmalo:
Her ultimate goal was truth - to get to the bottom of what was going on.
I disagree with you there...Although truth was a goal of hers, it was not her ultimate goal. I think her ultimate goal was a lot more self-centered than that (And note that I said "self-centered" and not "selfish")...If she were ultimately after the truth, she wouldn't be stealing stories, nor would she be so jealous of Clark for winning the Kerth she thought she should have gotten. Her ultimate goal, I think, is the same as Clark's, actually -- to prove herself worthy of acceptance. But he tries to achieve that goal by helping other people and putting them before himself. She tries to achieve it by earning people's respect for her as a reporter, and, ironically, is willing to trod all over anyone in order to accomplish her goal. It's no coincidence that Clark wrote the human interest pieces and not Lois, nor that he was the more popular of the two individuals at the office.

So she was competitive. That's the "american way' stuff in the Superman slogans.
Within limits, yes. She exceeded those limits. The American way does not include law breaking, for example. Or at least, the ideal of the American way does not.

Actually, that might make for an interesting story, perhaps in an alternate universe: Superman capturing Lois and turning her over to the police for breaking and entering.

Oh, yeah, that does bring to mind another character flaw with Clark: At worst, he's a hypocrite; at best, he is inconsistent in integrating the ethics of his dual personae. As Clark, he stole something (a vial, perhaps?) for evidence in Smart Kids. As Superman, he would never condone such an action. As Clark, he lies all the time. As Superman, he insists on telling the literal truth. (Although even as Superman, he has been known to mislead with the truth.)

being cutting to Clark - he was the interloper - she had never had a partner and then Perry gives her one?? How to undermine her confidence?
She *chose* to work with Clark in the pilot; she could have chosen to fly solo. Moreover, in RfaS, Perry tells Lois explicitly that he is partnering her with Clark because, inter alia, she has experience. He clearly intends for her to be, in essence, a mentor to Clark. Far from undermining her confidence, that ought to build it up.

c. ( we're soooo off topic here - sorry)
On that, at least, we can agree. wink

Joy,
Lynn