My first fanfic was Erin Klingler's "The Accidental Husband". I'm not sure but I think I read it during Summer 2000.

I didn't have an internet connection at home back then (didn't even have a computer) and I stumbled upon the story at a free space granted by City Hall in my hometown.
As soon as I read the first few lines I was amazed. I had no idea people actually wrote fanfic. But since I only had 30 min. to use the computer my hopes of reading the whole story were dashed.

And right then started my fanfic saga - during the rest of that month of August I would go anywhere I could find that had a computer with an internet connection and a printer so that I could print the story. It took me about 10 days to get the whole thing printed (due to lack of funds &/or paper) but eventualy I managed to read the whole story (and it was worth the trouble and the funny looks people gave me :p ).

And that is the reason I remember which was my first fanfic (may I add that that it's still religiously kept inside my closet).
notworthy

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett