Sheila, you wouldn't have been birth center eliglible under the conditions you described. Birth centers and home births are a safe option for many women. My mother helped to create one of the first birth centers in the United States, wrote the national exam that all nurse midwives take to get their license, has been both a practitioner and professor, and has done extensive research around the world on safe birthing practices. The majority of women around the world don't even have the option of the kind of care you describe. My mother has been a tragic witness to babies dying in her arms in third world countries due to factors that wouldn't even be an issue in the western world. Birthing with a skilled birth attendant is the standard of care for most women world-wide, not just a "yuppie" choice. Research demonstrates the favorable results of matenal and neonatal outcomes that come from planned home births under circumstances that replicate elements of "first-level" care. I invite you to read an article written by my mother (I'm third author on the paper) that is based on a meta-analysis of 30 years worth of research on the subject.
[Judith T. Fullerton, Ana M. Navarro, Susan H. Young. Outcomes of Planned Home Birth: An Integrative Review. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health; Volume 52, Issue 4(July 2007-August 2007), pages 323-333]
I understand the passion you have for your beliefs based on your personal experiences and do not believe that your comments were intended to disrespect women with other beliefs or experiences. Please understand my mother's lifelong passion for helping women give birth under different circumstances and give equal respect to the choices they make. The most important factors involved are the favorable maternal and neonatal outcomes that come from a positive birthing experience.
Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink