Those of you who do beta-reading and editing, if you're younger than the author of the fic (and you know it), do you ever feel awkward editing their work, or even making suggestions to improve the story?
I don't think age makes any difference what-so-ever. We all have different talents. Some of us are better at grammar and punctuation than others, and some are very good with characterization. Age makes no difference at all.
~~~

Or how about when you first BR/edit a story for an author whose stories you've read before, and utterly loved? Does seeing the rough draft of their newest work make you skittish about helping them improve it?
Again, we all have different talents. I don't think this makes any difference.
~~~

I agree with LabRat, that a beta should be honest and forthright.

Then, too, people need different things from their beta. Some people just want to know how a certain idea works, etc, and want to be told what's good and bad. Other people need mostly grammar and punctuation.

Of course, like Lisa said (or implied), this can be more difficult in person, especially if the person is resistant to the idea. It all depends on whether they ask for your help or not.

I think I've got you beat by a couple of years, Labby...
LOL, course this is that, too. These days, there are fewer authors older than me to begin with.
Or if they have never done a beta before...

And I guess, when I really get into the beta work, it kind of reminds me of that, and I'm afraid that, even though they may have said they were okay with a full beta job, they might not have realized just what that entailed (if they've never had a beta before, that is).
I think this goes away a little when you get older.

I guess I'm just a bit "neurotic" about the possibility that they might not appreciate that I really DO know what I'm talking about, despite the fact that I'm younger and have possibly had less education than they have. Know what I mean?
And having less or more education means nothing. Just because someone has a master's degree or whatever, doesn't mean they know what you know and doesn't mean they have your talents.

Gadfries, are there really people who don't want this pointed out:
then you know not to waste your time pointing out those typos or glitches.
Finally, this is somewhat off topic, but I gotta say that I'm doing a beta for someone and the story is really great. A previous beta told her to not bother with a long fic because her English language skills were just too bad. I was aghast. If the beta didn't think they could handle it, then it would have been nicer if they told her that, than to tell her not to bother trying to post the fic. So this wonderful author has had this great little fic that has just been sitting on her hard drive waiting for the light of day....

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~