This has been a really interesting discussion, but I think we might have reached a familiar stalemate here. In the end, the Merriweather Committee will run their awards in their own way; they're the ones putting the work into it, so they get to set the rules. Questions and concerns have been aired, and it's up to the M-Com to decide how/if to respond.

On the flip side, individual authors can decide if they'd like to participate in the Merriweathers, the Kerths, both, or neither. This is *not* a competition between the Kerths and Merriweathers; that would be comparing apples to oranges -- tempting, perhaps, but ultimately fruitless. goofy

I personally think it's great to have such a different approach for the Merriweathers (variety being the spice of life and all that), and wish them well. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K