I've always been of the opinion that beta reading is like marriage. It's not as simple as just author and beta reader getting together. There does have to be some compatiblity there, otherwise it's not going to work. For example, it's no good volunteering to beta read for an author who loves to write introspection if you hate introspection. That's a simplistic example, but it makes the point.

Most authors have, I think, built up beta readers through friendships first. Or through beta reading for compatible authors and getting return favours. Sometimes, the way to gain a beta reader is to be a beta reader.

I do feel guilty about not rushing to answer each and every beta reading ad I see. I like to help - especially if it's a new author, just starting out. My own betas have given me so much help and made writing so enjoyable and fun and educational over the years, that I do like to give a little of that back to the community so to speak where I can. But I simply don't have time to beta read for all and have to accept that. Nor, I think, do many authors here. We have lives too.

On the care of betas? Don't be demanding. Do ask if someone has time to beta for you - never assume that just because they had time to beta your first story that they can automatically cope with your second...and third...and fourth.

Remember to thank them for their time and hard work. They don't get paid for this, so make them feel appreciated. smile And do credit them in the story itself. It all helps to make them feel that they're not being taken for granted.

I know there's more than that but I'm out of posting time. (Stargate starts in zero minus five minutes and I have to set the DVD to record wink ) But may come back later, if I think of something else vitally important that's worth posting. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers