Authors, how do you treat your betas? Or maybe I should ask betas how they want to be treated <g>

I'm getting to the point again where I'll need a BR, so I've been thinking about this lately. I want someone who's got the same general idea of the characters that I have, someone to keep my commas in line, wink someone to help me keep track of my plot, and mostly, someone to cheerlead for me smile I like to have several betas for each story, if I can. So, who do I choose? Well, there are the people I've worked well with before. But some of them are busy with other stories or traveling or changing continents or something silly like that wink If I know they're really busy I might not even bother asking if they've got the time to help me out. Betas put in a lot of their time for a story that doesn't even have their name under the title smile and I try to be appreciative of mine.

So, I'm thinking on the keyboard, so to speak... is there an established etiquette for treating beta readers? Betas, have you been abused? Authors, has a beta reader done you wrong? Any horror stories out there? goofy

Try to keep it to generalities, though, without pointing any fingers. This isn't about getting back at anyone. In fact, we can just all assume that any bad examples involved FOLCs who've already left the fandom, so it couldn't possibly be any of us <g>

Make any sense? Discuss amongst yourselves!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K