Well, I'm not a parent, so I can't answer from personal experience per say, but some very close friends of mine are in Russia right now picking up their adopted daughter and I'm watching their three older (biological) children while they are there, so I can tell you what I've observed from them and other parents I know.

Number one, they are elated. They were in love with her from the moment they saw a picture of her and heard her name. Adoption is a long process, and when they finally heard that a match had been made, they were overwhelmed. This is their dream come true. At the same time they had some fears (What if there are legal complications? What if she is sick? What if there are travel or accomodation problems? What if she is scared of us and won't come to us? What if she doesn't adjust well?) For a first time parent (biological or adoptive), I'd imagine there would be other fears. (What if this is too hard? What if I'm a bad parent? What if she gets hurt or sick and I don't know what to do? What if it's too stressful? Will my life ever be the same? etc)

Parents' fears definitely depend on their experience and their circumstances. A rich person wouldn't worry about money, but a middle income family might and poor family definitely would. An experienced parent would worry less about their own capability than someone with no experience. A parent who was raised in a terrific, loving family would worry less about creating a loving home for their child than someone who had a rough childhood. You get the picture.

Since you say this character is adopting, I'd say they are not prone to the stricken, "oh god" feeling that surprise pregnancies can induce. One additional feeling is probably relief. Many families try for years to adopt with no success. Being matched with a child is an incredible moment. It makes it suddenly feel real in ways it hadn't before. The type of adoption can affect the parents' feelings too. If they are adopting a newborn domestically they may fear that the mother will change her mind. If they are adopting an older child (either foreign or domestic) they may worry about what the child has been through and how that will affect them physically and emotionally.

I hope that was some help.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen