Thanks for the heads-up, Annie. I always wondered how accurate the newsroom scenes were in L&C. I'll rent the movie as soon as I can. thumbsup

Have you ever seen Absence of Malice? I'd be interested in knowing how accurate the newspaper stuff is in that movie. Also the Superman movies with Chris Reeve.

Do you ever read novels about journalism by newspaper people? Have you ever read Regrets Only by Sally Quinn? I found it a bit tedious at times but there was an interesting section where the journalist had to decide whether or not to do something that would further her own career and would at the same time hurt her lover's career. I think about that part whenever I get irritated by The Foundling episode. No, the situations aren't exactly analogous - but I can't say any more without giving spoilers.

Can you recommend any other books or movies that show the world of journalism accurately? Okay - editing my post: I just read the article by Paul Schindler and saw his list of recommended movies and books. How many of those have you read/ seen? Did you see the Billy Wilder film Ace in the Hole, a.k.a. The Big Carnival? Brilliant, but biting.

Glad to know there's a journalist here; I'll think of more questions for you later. wink

Incidentally, I tuned into CNN today and caught the tail end of a show where they were discussing a journalist for the NY Times who had been caught plagiarising. I got the impression that this is a weekly show that deals with ethics in the media. It might be a good source of inspiration for stories. Anyone else seen this show?

Editing again, just saw this.

4. Have you been impacted or inspired by any movies that feature journalists?

"Absence of Malice" made me more careful about both facts and implications. "The Paper" made me more careful about not putting the job before the marriage. The Superman TV show and comic book actually contributed mightily to my decision to become a journalist; I loved Superman.
Shadowfax

P.S., Annie have you read any of Jody Jaffe's novels? (Chestnut Mare Beware, Horse of Different Killer) I noticed you're in Chapel Hill - Jaffe's novels take place in Charlotte, which is where the author, who IIRC is a journalist, used to work. (I think she moved to Washington, D.C. but my memory may be faulty on any or all of these points. wink )