I know what you're thinking: what is a movie recommendation doing in Fanfic Related? For crying out loud, she's the section editor, doesn't she know it should go in Off Topic?

Ah, but bear with me for just a second and it will all be clear. smile

As you all know by now, there is nothing I love to discuss more than newspapers. My biggest pet peeves are stories with factual errors about the way newsrooms work because they jolt me out of the story. And I *adore* people who ask me questions about newspapers - either on the boards or via email - because it gives me the chance to ramble about my favorite topic. So, as I was composing my novel for the current question that was posted in this section, I got to thinking about my favorite movie, and how if everyone watched it, it would give them a really good idea of how newsrooms really work. I love LnC more than any other show ever, but it's newsroom wasn't really accurate. This movie is funny, poignant, suspenseful and all-around wonderful with an all-star cast and superb writing. If you've ever written or thought about writing a story and just wanted to know what a newsroom REALLY looks like or how reporters/editors really interact, please watch this movie. It's so good. And, it's full of story ideas. smile

You can read the official imdb plot summary and review here: The Paper

On a somewhat related note, I was trolling the web for review of the movie to share when I stumbled across this website Paul Schindler . Paul Schindler is a news veteran who has written for the now-defunct Oregon Journal, AP, UPI and many others and has also worked in broadcast news and now he runs a magaizine I think. This man knows what's he's talking about. Anyway, this specific part of his web site is devoted to hollywood's portrayal of women in the newsroom and it's absolutely fascinating. Definitely worth checking out. Something to think about as we are writing. And what does he have to say about The Paper?

"The absolute best, most realistic performance, which also reflects the fact that a few women are now breaking through the glass ceiling in journalism, was rendered by the most oustanding actress to play a woman journalist ever. I speak, of course, of Glenn Close in The Paper, the best journalism movie ever made. Even Marissa Tomei, who plays Michael Keaton's pregnant reporter-on-leave wife, shows us the conflict generated for women by a serious journalism career in the 90s."

Okay, stopping for real now,
Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen