Usually practice makes perfect and sewing is no different. While I have absolutely no experience sewing by machine I do have some mending skills brought on by my grandma teaching me some embroidery (the embroidery skills have mostly fallen by the wayside but the mending skills have not). As a result I can do a fairly decent running stitch (I've had my mother-in-law compliment me on my stitch, saying it was better than hers) but that's about it. Recently I've attempted to make a version of the UltraWoman costume and found myself stuck on sewing the heavily-weighted fabric of the cape. All of the suggestions I see for make the cape were machine oriented when I have neither the experience nor the equipment to do that! Like Lois and Alt-Clark I didn't really need to do much for the base/unitard portion (theirs was the ski suit, mine a unitard) but the cape? That's a whole different matter. Remember that Martha went through a few iterations before arriving at the version that's used throughout the series.

With all that said, Lois WILL need to learn how to make the suit eventually. While it's likely Martha will live a fair amount of time naturally (my grandma and my husband's grandma are almost to their 90s for example) they'll either need to find someone to make the suits or Lois will need to learn (and who better from the official Superman tailor??) Can you imagine the hilarity of Lois snarking about the suits while she's making them?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)